Thursday, January 24, 2008

I Hate Computers

I admit that I belong to the majority of Americans regardless of age who hate computers. Reasons abound. Case in point.

We listen to several public radio stations over the Internet, yet another bonus of our satellite systems. Today we’re working in the trailer, sitting out the rare rain day here in AZ. For some reason I can only connect to a few stations.

After a few attempts, I connect to http://www.coastradio.org/ in Astoria, OR. We listen for a while, then lose the connection. I poke Media Player for a while, then somehow bring up their playlist.

We listen for another hour or so. Gee, I can name a lot of those songs, even owned the CDs. After a while, Jenna says, “Maybe the DJ bought the CDs we sold (in Eugene OR).” :>

The music continues, familiar still. At last, I look at the web site, wondering who is playing that music. Oh yeah, they have two stations on that web site.

So I look at the player again, for the name of the site of the music stream. Huh, I see the album cover on the screen?!

I look at the play list again and realize, for the first time, that I’m playing a random selection of the 200 CDs I recorded on the hard drive (and sold in Eugene).

Which is why I hate computers.

Bruce

PS Never mind pointing out that I worked with computer systems for 15 years. I know the enemy well.

No comments: