Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Got the Blues

We had hoped to turn south in a few days, after a visit from our friends Steve and Sandy from Lake Tyee.  But an assessment of our state of readiness finds us wanting...fully functioning utilities for dry camping.  So we remain awaiting parts and installation, likely for another 7-10 days.  Nice place to wait, so we don't care.

But still, it put me in the mood of the blues.  Who better inspiration than Janis herself.  And so a riff on Me and Bobby McGee

Busted flat in Park Sierra,
  Waitin for a water pump...and a furnace and a refrigerator door,
Seeing water flowing in my dreams,
  Jenna drove our diesel down to Fresno for a bite,
Stopped for barbeque ham and pork and beans.

We pulled out our computers for a little surfin' time,
  Playin' solitare while Jenna read the news,
Clancy chewing softly on the cables while we snoozed,
  He ate every sock and shoe we use.

Freedom's just another word for waiting for repairs,
  Waiting for a bill, it sure ain't free,
Feeling good is easy when you have some heat and lights,
  Feeling good is good enough you see,
Good enough for Clancy, Jenna, and me.

Which reminds me of Martin Mull's Middle Class Blues.  He learned the blues from his uncle, who was so middle class that they called him Blind Lemon Pledge.

Starts out
        I woke up this afternoon
        and I saw both cars were gone
        I felt so low-down deep inside
        I threw my drink across the lawn

And so forth.

Bruce

1 comment:

Gypsy said...

You are clever! Loved the "Me and Bobby McGee" take-off.