Saturday, June 27, 2009

A Night at the Opera

On this second weekend of the Astoria Music Festival, we attended an unusual performance in the Liberty Theatre, a recently restored 1920s vaudeville-motion picture palace.



We watched the 1926 movie, The Phantom of the Opera, starring Lon Chaney . Maestroe David Wroe, a regular conductor at the New York City Opera, lead a ten piece orchestra plus soprano, in a accompanying score, written in 1991.The movie was released the same year that the Liberty Theatre opened. I've read that the movie caused quite a stir, a frightening experience in its day. We kept our wits, well, those of of us with wits to keep, and greatly enjoyed ourselves.

Next day, good weather has finally arrived in Astoria. Summer is here!

Bruce

1 comment:

Julie Forcum said...

Hi Bruce and Jenna! Julie Forcum checking in to say hello. I am not so up on the blogs or emails or phone calls...but it has been fun to occassionally catch up on your adventures. I'm glad summer weather has returned, and I hope your stay in Astoria continues to be good. I hope Walt is able to see you on his visit this Summer - and I hope he has time to stop up here in Seattle too to meet Brayden. All is well here. I'm considering a new job, and we are enjoying the adventures of our almost two year old little boy!

I'll keep reading the post and I'm thinking about you both and your health. Love, Julie