Saturday, March 14, 2009

Deming NM and Deming Historical Museum

On to Deming Escapee Park, where we planned to park our trailer while visiting Jenna's brother

Walt in Las Cruces, NM and girlfriend Olivia in El Paso. And complete our move to Texas residency.

Visit went well enough. (Separate posting to follow.) But paperwork to register our vehicles - not so good. And then Jenna suffered some minor side effects from her cancer treatment. All of

Which has kept us in Deming for ten days now. Hope to depart in the next few.

In the mean time, we visited the Deming Luna Mimbres Museum. Several people had told us not to miss it. And they were right.

We saw an astounding display of life in the early 20th century in this county. Medical devices, fire engines, cowboy stuff, main street shops, liquor bottles, music, on and on. A vast collection of pictures of local families.

Plus coins back to 300BC. A very large set of local pottery in 1000 AD. More items I cannot even remember.

All beautifully presented. I started taking pictures midway into the tour. You can see them here.

How impressed was I? I usually get sleepy in museums, from a combination of heat, mustiness, specific lack of motion, and general lack of class. Even tho I felt sleepy, I forced myself to continue and was glad I did.

See this museum if you can!

Bruce

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope Jenna is feeling much better. I have to say the place you stayed with the blowing wind, etc. just doesn't appeal to me. I'm just an old softie I guess. See you on the road. Donna